Visitors - Activities at and around LGFC
Low Gillerthwaite Field Centre was established with an aim of encouraging a love and respect for wildlife and wild places. A wealth of activities can be pursued from the Centre:
- Fell Walking
- Running and Jogging
- Night Walks
- Camp Craft
- Gorge Walking
- Natural History
- Mountain Biking
- Pond Dipping
- Waymarked Forest Paths
And on a clear night, amateur astronomy and star gazing opportunities are excellent, as we reside under possibly one of the darkest skies in the country. We are now an accredited Dark Sky Discovery site.
(Also see our Newsletter - October 2011)
Whilst swimming is not permitted in the lake, there are pools in the river nearby. Pony Trekking can be catered for at a choice of local venues. The Warden can advise further on these activities and on canoeing. Younger visitors will enjoy making a home in our very own 'wigloo' (made of living willow twigs). Our own two acre field is ideally situated for outdoor games, and with 3000 acres of forest, there is ample scope for more adventurous games. An adjoining barn is available for gentle indoor games.
Part of the Gillerthwaite experience is the communal endeavour of preparing meals, sawing logs and sharing a tale or song by the fireside in this historic setting. Isolated as we are, visiting lecturers can be brought in to add local interest to your stay.
Bring your own activity provider
We (or you) can arrange for qualified leaders to provide activities for your group, and the following are willing to provide leadership and/or instruction during your stay at LGFC :
- Dave or Matt at RV Projects - use LGFC as a base to help train and select young people to work on charitable projects on behalf of communities abroad.
- Dan Robinson of Real Adventure - Summer, Winter, Overground, Underground, Biking, and might even offer to do some catering!
- John and Sarah Platt of PLATTY+ - Canoeing, Kayaking, Sailing, Dragon boating and improvised Raft building.
- David Oglethorpe of Glaramara Outdoor Centre - Climbing, Abseiling, Biking, Canoeing, Kayaking, Orienteering, Ghyll scrambling.
- Chris Chilcott of Mobile Adventure - Ghyll scrambling, Gorge Walking, Rock Climbing, Mountain Scrambling, Kayaking, Canoeing, Via Ferrata.
- Mike Mills at Whitehaven Harbour Youth Project - Climbing Wall, Sports Hall, Kayaking, Canoeing, Hill Walking & Mountaineering, Rock Climbing, Abseiling, Gill Scrambling. Also scope to provide Team Building/Ice Breaking sessions, Residentials, Sailing, Orienteering and more activities by arrangement.
A selection of nearby places of interest include
- Muncaster Castle and Owl Centre
- Egremont Castle
- Cockermouth Castle
- Hard Knott Roman Fort
- The Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway - 'The Ratty' - described as the most beautiful train journey in England. 15" Narrow Gauge Railway carries passengers by either steam or diesel engine from the old Roman Port of Ravenglass seven miles along the Eskdale Valley to Dalegarth. Well worth a trip.
- Florence Haematite Mine - Visit the last working deep iron mine in Europe - famous for the 'Red Men' - you'll find out why when you visit (Protective clothing is provided, but you may wish to wear old clothes in any event). Florence Mine Heritage Centre, Egremont, Cumbria CA22 2NR Telephone +44 (0)1946 820683
- Wordsworth House, Cockermouth
- Sellafield Visitors Centre
- Cumberland Pencil Museum
- Whitehaven Urban Trail and Museum
- St. Bees Head and R.S.P.B. Reserve
- Ravenglass and Eskmeals Dunes Nature Reserve
- Horse riding
- Nature reserves
- Leisure centres
- There are Swimming Pools at Whitehaven and Workington with adjacent Sports Centres. Good swimming pools also exist at Egremont and Cockermouth.
- Tourist Edition (Stops between Ennerdale Water and Ennerdale Bridge).
- 1:50000 West Cumbria Sheet 89
- 1:25000 The English Lakes, North West Sheet
Low Gillerthwaite Field Centre, Ennerdale, Cleator
Cumbria, CA23 3AX
- Tel : 01946 861229
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grid Ref : NY139141
- Latitude : 54.5148 (N)
Longitude : -3.3313 (W)
Click on image to enlarge it.
2 pictures of our wigloo